Thursday 7 May 2015

Embryo (Embryo #1) , J.A. Schneider

A GoodReads suggestion, with a cover that says it all... well, almost.

The reviews at amazon were catchy, and when I was actually going to buy the same, found a free copy at GoodReads... Lucky me. Mapped under mystery, thriller, science fiction, horror and action genres, and the page count... hardly 250 pages, made me take it up, so that I reach my goal(the 2015 Reading Challenge) faster.

But 20 pages, and I couldn't continue. I simply couldn't register the characters, the Who was who. That was reason enough to shelf the book. After almost a month, I made up my mind to complete it, come what may. And after the first few pages, letting go the terms and descriptions... well, it could be read. But sadly, it is just another thriller novel, where the person who seems to be annoying and villainous is not a villain after all, and the one whom we least(!?) suspect turns up the super villain.

Having read loads of such books, and watched several movies, I could guess the very first time the villain makes an entry. So, it was not a big twist at all. The beginning is confusing, it takes time to identify the main characters, the protagonist. And after the identification, other characters have almost no role. The main character is the only one who senses that something is wrong, jumps to the right places at the right time, understands every thing, solves it all.

And the villain and his sidekick are the usual ones, including the big dialogue villains usually deliver. Other than the many medical terms thrown, all over the pages, not much work for the reader, no need to think, deduce or remember at all, because what happens is the very obvious. Not a great read, just the usual...

No comments:

Post a Comment